DIY Natural Products: Laundry Detergent
After realizing how easy this is, I have NO idea why it took me so long! I had been wanting to make my own detergent for awhile, but it wasn’t until a few months ago that I made the attempt and I must say it was a huge success!
Seriously, this is so easy! It’s similar to making soap/body wash, so I made a batch of both the other day! I love that it’s budget friendly and chemical free! Win-win!
- 2 Bars of Soap (I buy Kirk’s Castile Coconut Oil Soap). You can find this at most Wal-Marts and Targets for around $3.50/3 bars of soap.
- 3 Cups of Washing Soda
- 3 Cups of Baking Soda
- Optional, but recommended: Essential Oil
- Optional: Vinegar
- Grate both bars of soap.
- Mix in washing soda, baking soda, and essential oils
- Pour mixture into container and store
- Add 1-2 tablespoons to each load of laundry
- Optional: Add tablespoon of vinegar to softener section of washer
Things to note:
- I bought the baking soda, washing soda, and soap at Wal-Mart
- I used 15ish drops each of Citrus Fresh and Purification Young Living oil.
- In the past I used a grater to grate the soap, this time I used our food processor and it was SO much easier and faster.
- Total time to make: 5 minutes
- The cost is .01-.03/load
- We use this with our LG front loader washer and it works great!